Now we shall learn how to use ‘were’ to describe continuous action. As ‘was’, we use ‘were’ to describe the past tense. But, we use ‘was’ for the singular subject and ‘were’ for the plural subject. We can also use ‘were’ for the second person, singular number- ‘you’. So, these are the sentences in the past continuous tense.
In these sentences, we use ‘were’ as a helping verb with the main verb. We should use the present participle of a verb which is the ‘-ing’ form of a verb.
Construction of a sentence using ‘were’
We can construct a sentence as:
- We/ you/ they / plural subject+ were + present participle (-ing form) of the main verb + other words.
Examples of ‘were’ in a sentence about continuous action
Let’s see how to use ‘were’ in continuous sentences with some examples.
Here are some examples. The formation is as above.
Have a look-
- We were moving forward with our parents. (main verb 'move'+ ing)
- You were talking about my success. (main verb 'talk'+ ing)
- They were running a Marathon. (main verb 'run'+ ing)
- We were playing table tennis there. (main verb 'play'+ ing)
- They were listening to music in a low voice. (main verb 'listen'+ ing)
- We were making dinner for them. (main verb 'make'+ ing)
- My friends were spending the afternoon in the garden. (main verb 'spend'+ ing)
- Parents were asking about their ward’s progress. (main verb 'ask'+ ing)
- Monkeys were snatching the biscuits.(main verb 'snatch'+ ing)
- We were spoiling water unnecessarily. (main verb 'spoil'+ ing)
- My grandparents were taking me with them.(main verb 'take'+ ing)
- The dancers were practising Bhangda. (main verb 'practise'+ ing)
- You were paying him extra money. (main verb 'pay'+ ing)
- The singers were singing a popular song. (main verb 'sing'+ ing)
- They were waiting for us. (main verb 'wait'+ ing)
- We were driving a car through the desert. (main verb 'drive' + ing)
- You were working for him.(main verb 'work'+ ing)
- You were visiting the flood-affected area. (main verb 'visit'+ ing)
- Girls were constantly dancing. (main verb 'dance'+ ing)
- We were planning my studies.(main verb 'plan'+ ing)
- The dogs were barking at them. (main verb 'bark'+ ing)
- The students were decorating their class. (main verb 'decorate'+ ing)
- They were walking in the street. (main verb 'walk'+ ing)
- Crows were flying in the sky. (main verb 'fly'+ ing)
- Drivers were driving the buses. (main verb 'drive'+ ing)
- They were informing us about the proper situation.(main verb 'inform'+ ing)
- You were showing me that picture. (main verb 'show'+ ing)
- Snehal and her friend were attending the marriage. (main verb 'attend'+ ing)
- You were shouting at him. (main verb 'shout'+ ing)
- Snakes were chasing their prey.(main verb 'chase'+ ing)