Past Tense- Uses with Examples
In English, we use past tense-
- To talk about the past
- To show politeness
- For referring the present or future in some conditions
- To show wishes
Now we shall take some examples of this tense.
To talk about the past
Always we talk about the things happened in past. We shall see some examples of such types of sentences.
Let’s have a look-
- I taught at Nalanda School.
- She was teaching at Nalanda School.
- He had taught at Nalanda School.
- I had been teaching at Nalanda School.
We shall go in detail through the types of past tense.
To show politeness
We can use the past tense to show politeness while speaking about present.
These form of sentences show about something would happen what we wish, what could happen and the possibility about what would have happened.
In daily life we use so many sentences in this form. We shall take some examples here.
Have a look-
- Could you please do me a favor?
- Should I call you in the afternoon?
- What would you like to have tea or coffee?
For referring the present or future in some conditions
Let’s have some examples.
Have a look-
- She could score more in the exam if she really did hard.
- If Sameer was helping to sketch their plan would probably select.
To show wishes
We always express our wishes through our speaking. Here are some examples. Let’s have a look-
- I wish it wasn’t so difficult.
- I wish I hadn’t wasted my precious time yesterday.
- I wish if I were a fairy.
You will get more about past tense by clicking the links.