What is a Conjunction?
A Conjunction is very important in the sentence. It is a part of speech. Conjunctions are the words that are used to join two words, two phrases, or two clauses.
There are many words used as conjunctions.
We use a conjunction to avoid small sentences and make a complex sentence to express our idea.
We don't say- I like playing. I like studying. I don't like cooking.
For the above description, we say- I like playing and studying but I don't like cooking.
Examples of using conjunction in a sentence-
Examples of how to use a conjunction in a sentence are given here-
- Shaila and Seema are sisters.
- She met her and her mother on the same day.
- He ran fast but missed the bus.
- She didn’t complete the assignment, but you did.
- Because it is difficult to learn, he joined the class.
- He got in the crowded bus because he had to reach there on time.
- She had dinner with her children.
- She saw a man with her boss
In the above sentences:
The conjunction ‘and’ is joining-
- two words; Shaila, Seema
- a word and a phrase; her, her mother
‘but’ is joining-
- a clause and a phrase; He ran fast, missed the bus
- two clauses; She didn’t complete the assignment, you did
‘because’ is joining-
- two clauses; it is difficult to learn, he joined the class
- two clauses; He got in the crowded bus, he had to reach there on time
‘with’ is joining-
- a word ‘dinner’ and a phrase ‘her children’
- a word ‘man’ and a phrase ‘her boss’
In the above sentences; and, but, because, with are conjunctions.
Types of conjunctions
All conjunctions perform the same function of joining words, phrases, and clauses.
There are three types of conjunctions.
Have a look-
- Coordinating Conjunctions- join words, phrases, and clauses of equal grammatical rank.
- Correlative Conjunctions- are pairs of conjunctions that work together.
- Subordinating Conjunctions- join dependent and independent clauses.
You may like the related topics-