An abstract noun is a type of noun. A noun is a name of a person, thing, and place.
Abstract nouns are the opposite of concrete nouns. You will better understand what the noun is with definitions and examples of abstract nouns.
Read about Abstract nouns-
- Abstract nouns refer to objects we cannot experience with our five senses.
- These nouns don’t have any physical existence.
- Abstract nouns can identify ideas, concepts, experiences, qualities, and feelings.
Definition of Abstract Noun
To find out Abstract Noun in the sentence is very easy.
Here is the Definition of Abstract Noun -
- An Abstract noun is a noun that shows an idea, event, state, action, quality or concept.
- An abstract noun shows something we can’t physically touch, feel, hear, taste, smell, or see.
It means the abstract nouns are the nouns that exist only in our minds and cannot be sensed through our senses. It includes ideas, states of being, qualities, relationships, conditions, theories, fields of inquiry.
We cannot touch a quality such as regularity in work directly by our hands; we can only see or hear about the worker who works regularly, and we come to know his regularity in work.
Examples of Abstract Nouns
We can better understand with the examples.
In the following sentences, there are some examples of abstract nouns.
Here are some examples of abstract Nouns, which are given in bold letters.
- In childhood, we used to climb trees.
- She cracked a joke, and laughter broke out.
- Metal gets hardness after a chemical reaction.
In the above sentences, the words ‘childhood’, ‘laughter’, and ‘hardness’ show the state, action and quality.
- The names of Sciences and Arts are also Abstract Nouns.
Ex- Physics, Biology
A concrete noun is opposite to an abstract noun.
- A concrete noun represents something that we can hear, smell, taste, see and touch.
Examples of Concrete Nouns
Here are some examples of concrete nouns, and those are in bold letters.
- The book is on the table.
- Keep that bag
- There is a big tree in front of his house.
- A lion is a forest animal.
- Cloud has white in colour.
In the above sentences, the words book, table, bag, tree, house, lion, forest, animal, and cloud are concrete nouns.
In this way, it is very easy to differentiate between Abstract Nouns and Concrete Nouns.
For more, go over-