Common Noun - Name of General Item
Common Noun is the name of the general item. We know that there is a differentiation of nouns. That is, a common noun is different from a proper noun.
We can define a common noun properly as-
A common noun is the name of a class of person, place, or thing. We use these nouns for classes. We don't use common nouns for specific person, place, or thing that is words that refer to any common name are called Common Nouns.
Here are some examples of common nouns that we see in –
- kitchen- sink, ladle, dish, gas stove, refrigerator, mixer grinder
- mall- manager, shopkeeper, beautician, jeans, chair, trolley
- school- chair, table, bench, desk, whiteboard, marker, duster, registers, maps, globe
- hotel- waiter, chef, manager, napkin, finger bowl, dishes, glasses
When we use a common noun in a sentence, we should keep some ideas in mind.
- We should not write the beginning letter of the Common Nouns capital if those are not starting words of a sentence.
- The common nouns are used for singular as well as plural number.
- In English, common names may be used with articles or other modifiers such as ‘another’ or ‘any’.
Here are some examples of common nouns.
We have used Common nouns in the sentences below. Common nouns are in bold letters.
- That school is for girls.
- The dog is a pet animal.
- There were so many dresses for boys.
- There are so many beautiful parks near Mumbai we should visit.
In the above sentences, the words ‘school’, ‘girls’, ‘dog’, ‘animal’ ‘dresses’, ‘boys’, ‘parks’ are common nouns.
Sometimes we use proper nouns as common nouns.
There are two parts of common nouns.
- Collective Noun
- Abstract Noun
There is a description of these parts in the lessons itself.
Go over –
Get more information here about the common noun.