Proper Noun- The Specific Name
A proper noun is a kind of noun . That is a specific name of person, place, animal or thing. Proper nouns and common nouns are different. This is a name but when we use it to tell specific person or thing is a proper noun.
Proper nouns are specific names.
Proper nouns are of-
We can add proper nouns in above list.
Rules to use Proper Noun
Every day we use proper nouns but when we write a sentence with proper noun, we should keep some rules in our mind.
Here are some rules to follow-
- In English, we should not use proper nouns with any article or modifiers like ‘any’ or ‘other’.
- Don’t think about the place of proper nouns in the sentence. Always write beginning letter of proper nouns capital.
- Always noun is a single word therefore proper noun is also a single word.
Examples of Proper Noun
Here are some examples. Proper nouns are in bold letters.
- Shakespeare is a famous writer.
- Chetan Bhagat is a renowned Indian writer.
- Pruthvi lives at M. G Road.
- My dog, Moti is very intelligent.
- The Earth is a planet on which we live.
- The Moon is a satellite of the Earth.
- Now a days a work of cleaning river Ganga has become fast.
- That village is at the bank of river Godavari.
- Mumbai is a capital of Maharashtra.
- Maharashtra is a developed state of India.
- India is a part of continent Asia.
- Xavier’s School is located at Juhu.
- Mahatma Phule Sanstha is a name of an educational institution.
- Local government of Mumbai is run by Bombay Municipal Corporation.
- Microsoft is a software company.
- A building near Ram Mandir is Matoshri.
- He built a large house at RSC Road.
- Sun rises in the East.
- Mumbai University is renowned over all the world.