Verb- a Part of Speech
We call verb as an action word.
Verb is an important part of speech.
Verbs give proper meaning to the sentences.
Verb is a word which tells something about a person, place or a thing.
We use Verbs to describe-
- An action
- State of being
Function of Verb
We shall take some sentences to see what the function of verbs in the sentence are.
- The publisher published a fiction.
- She is very beautiful as well as talkative.
If we write the above sentences as-
- The publisher a fiction
- She very beautiful as well as talkative
These sentences don’t make complete sense but in above sentences, we get complete sense of the sentences because of the words ‘published’ and ‘is’
We can also call these words as ‘action words’.
Use of verbs
We use verbs to explain about-
- What a person or thing does
- What is done to a person or thing
- How a person or thing is
What a person or thing does; as,
- Students study in the library.
- Baby cries loudly.
- Hound ran after the dear.
- Cleaner cleans all the four rooms and balcony daily.
What is done to person or thing; as,
- Soham was cheated by his friends.
- Four wheeler vehicle is parked in no parking area.
- Paper is torn.
- A large tree of hundred years old was cut to broaden the road.
How a person or thing is; as,
- They are college students.
- The dog is alive.
- I am a doctor
- The route is long.
- She felt sorry.
Use of more than one word as verb
Always, we use more than one word as a verb in sentence; as,
- The girls were studying in the library.
- We are singing a national song at the starting of an event.
- On that day, Pranav was carrying his lunch box..
- He has taught that lesson.
- Charu had watched that movie.
- I am washing clothes.
- The wall has been built.
- Students have been studying.
- Patient has been admitted to hospital.