The sentence of continuous future tense tells that action will not complete in future time. In this tense, we use ‘shall be’ or ‘will be’. So, we use these forms with present participle in the formation of continuous future tense.
Formation of Continuous Future Tense
While forming this sentence, we should keep in mind that-
- In this sentence, we use modal according to the subject,
- For first person, singular and plural number that is ‘I’ and ‘we’: we use ‘shall + be’.
- For second person singular as well as plural, we use ‘will + be’.
- If subject is third person and singular or plural number that is he, she it and they: we use ‘will + be’.
- For any other singular or plural subject, we should use ‘will + be’ that is any noun or pronoun.
So, the formation is as;
- Subject + modal verb (shall/will) + be + present participle of main verb + remaining words
Now we shall see some examples. In these examples you will have base form of main verb in parenthesis. Forms of ‘to be’ are according to the subject.
You can get examples of continuous future tense-
- Negative sentences
- Interrogative sentences
- Negative interrogative sentences
All of the following sentences are affirmative.
Have a look-
In these sentences we have taken verb ‘cook’. Now read the following sentences with three persons and see the use of shall and will in each sentence.
- I shall be cooking for my kids. (first person, singular)
- We shall be cooking for my kids. (first person, plural)
- You will be cooking for my kids. (second person, singular/plural)
- He/She/It will be cooking for my kids. (third person, singular)
- They will be cooking for my kids. (third person, plural)
More Examples of Continuous Past Tense
In following sentences, verb used in sentence is in parenthesis.
- I shall be drinking lemonade. (drink)
- We shall be solving a problem.(solve)
- She will be reading a book. (read)
- He will be sleeping on the plank. (sleep)
- It will be playing with the ball. (play)
- They will be playing cricket in the ground. (play)
- You will be eating an apple. (eat)
- All of you will be watching the movie. (watch)
- They will be cleaning their premises. (clean)
- I shall be washing clothes in washing machine. (wash)
- She will be working on her project. (work)
- They will be discussing about the mishap on the highway. (discuss)
You may also like the related links of Continuous Tense-