Let’s see how to use ‘had’ in a negative sentence.
Use of ‘had’ to explain the incompletion of action
In this lesson, we will explain how to use ‘had’ to describe the incompletion of action in the past.
Formation of a negative sentence using ‘had’
In these sentences, we use ‘had’ as an auxiliary verb.
We shall see how to form a negative sentence to explain the action not completed in the past.
We use ‘had’ with ‘not’ in this sentence to show the negation.
In this lesson, we shall see how to form a sentence with ‘had not’.
Formation of a sentence using ‘had not
We shall see how to form a negative sentence to explain the completed action in the past.
The formation of a negative sentence in the past tense is as follows;
- Subject (any singular or plural noun) + had not + past participle of the main verb + other words.
We can use-
- hadn’t for had not
Let’s see how to use ‘had’ in the sentences to explain the completed action with some examples.
Here are some examples. The formation is as above.
Have a look-
- I had not arranged all the beads in a garland.
- He had not stood in front of her in the meeting.
- The inhabitants had not appeared to me.
- I had not already told them about this issue.
- You had not told me then that the theatre was packed.
- We had not gone the wrong way.
- She had not forgotten to bring her lunch.
- They had not paid too much for a single room in that hotel.
- A clutter of cats had not scared a snake on the ground.
- I had not set some rules for the students while working as a school principal.
- We had not visited our grandma's town before vacation.
- They had not rented a car to visit a castle on a mountain.
- A cat had not caught four rats a day.
- You had not bought dinner for us.
- All teachers had not watched our performance.
- He had not flown to Britain.
- I had not competed in the English words competition before.
- We had not done laundry last night.
- My friends had not waited for me to watch a movie.
- The maid had not cleaned the courtyard in front of our house.
- His brother had not taught him a lesson in English.
- He had not got a raise every year.
- Yesterday morning, he had not jumped from a bar.
- My parents had not lived in harmony all their life.
- She had not lost all her money to cure her husband’s illness.
- She had not fed my kids.
- He had not worked at an architectural firm for two years.
- You had not sustained all the pains.
- She had not kept me waiting for an hour.
- I had not run my business from my home.
- Use of ‘am’ to explain the state of being
- Use of is to tell about the profession
- Use of pronoun these in questions
- Use of will in negative answers
- Use of have in the questions of completed action