Verb- a Part of Speech
A verb is an important part of speech.
We can’t get proper meaning of the sentence without a verb.
Verb is a word which tells something about a person, place or a thing.
Verb is an action word.
- An action
- State of being
Verb- how it works
We shall take some sentences to see how verb works in the sentence.
- The boy wrote an essay.
- She is very beautiful.
If we write the above sentences as-
- The boy an essay.
- She very beautiful.
These sentences don't make complete sense but in above sentences, because of the words 'wrote’ and ‘is', we get complete sense of the sentences.
These words are also called as ‘action words’.
Use of verb
Verb is used to explain about-
- How a person or thing is
- What a person or thing does
- What is done to a person or thing
How a person or thing is; as,
- The route is long.
- The dog is alive.
- She felt sorry.
- I am a student.
- We are college faculties.
What a person or thing does; as,
- Baby cries loudly.
- Children play in the ground.
- Dog ran after the cat.
- Cleaner cleans all the four rooms and balcony daily.
What is done to person or thing; as,
- Rani is mocked by her friends.
- Table is broken.
- A large tree of hundred years old was cut to broaden the road.
- Four wheeler vehicle is parked in no parking area.
Use of more than one word
Always, more than one word are used as a verb in sentence; as,
- The boys were playing in the ground.
- We are singing a national song at the starting of an event.
- On that day, Sarita was driving a car.
- She has learnt that lesson.
- Charu had watched that movie.
- I am cooking.
- The wall has been built.
- Students have been studying.
- Criminals have been accused.
- Forms of Verb
- List of Irregular Verbs
- List of Verb Forms with 'ed'