Definition of Pronoun
Pronoun is a word used instead of noun or noun phrase to avoid the repetition of noun that is pronoun is a word that takes place of noun. Pronoun acts like noun that is pronoun acts as a subject, object of the preposition, direct object and indirect object.
Some pronouns are listed here-
What Is a Pronoun?
We shall see what a pronoun is and how it is used in sentences.
Let’s go for the use of pronoun-
- Sameer has to pursue the course that Sameer chose to achieve Sameer's goal.
- Sameer has to pursue the course that he chose to achieve his goal.
In above sentence, 'Sameer' is noun as it names a person and pronouns 'he' and 'his' are used instead of 'Sameer' to avoid repetition of noun 'Sameer'.
Examples of Pronouns in Sentences
We shall use pronouns in the sentences and we shall get the explanation of pronouns below.
- Sarita was sleeping. She was not feeling well.
- Sam had lost his raincoat, but he got it today.
- Wilson has a cat. It is white in colour.
Explanation of pronouns used in above sentences-
In above sentences, pronouns she, he and it are used instead of Sarita , Sam and cat respectively to avoid repetition of their names.
The words she, his, he, it which are used instead of nouns to avoid the repetition of nouns Sarita, Sam and cat are Pronouns.
Types of Pronouns
There are different types of pronouns you should know. Here is a list of types of pronouns.