Would is past tense of ‘will’. It is an auxiliary verb. Now, we shall see the use of ‘would’ in our speaking.
Have a look-
1. Would is used in indirect speech as the past tense of will.
Would is used during the transformation of the sentence of direct speech to indirect speech.
Direct speech: She said, “ I shall visit the school”
Indirect speech: She said that she would visit the school.
2. Direct speech: He said, “I will participate in debate”.
Indirect speech: He said that he would participate in debate.
2. Would is used to tell about habitual actions.
a. Our friends would go to play every Sunday.
b. I would arrange the program every month.
c. In childhood, I would request my mother to tell stories.
d. While in school, they would gather together at weekend.
3.Would is used to express polite request.
Would you lend your hand please?
Would you tell me the exam date please?
Would you please convey my message to my mother please?
Would you give me your pen?
4. Would is used to tell the determination of doing something in future.
He promised that he would get first class in the exam.
She would buy it whether you like it or not.
They would not be agreed to do it.
You told that you would purchase that house at any cost.
5. Would is used to tell the probability in past.
If he had studied hard, he would have scored 90% marks.
If she had owned home, she would have lived in it.
6. Would is used to tell wish.
Would that we were two butterflies.
Would that I were a pilot.
Would that she were a fairy.
7. Would is used to tell uncertainty.
She would work if she were asked.
The boss would agree if they were approached.