Prepositions- 'On', 'In', 'At'
Preposition links to another words in sentence. As there is no specific rule to use the preposition in sentence, there may be confusion in using the prepositions 'on', 'in', 'at'.
Here, we shall discuss the uses of prepositions 'on', 'in' and 'at'.
Prepositions 'on', 'in', 'at' are used to specify-
Uses of Preposition 'on'
Preposition 'on' is used in some sentences below. See these sentences as examples to explain the uses of preposition 'on'.
Preposition 'on' is used to specify dates and days
- She had come on the 26th June last year.
- I met her on Tuesday
Preposition 'on' is used to specify a surface of something
- Deep always writes on the wooden table.
- Dolly put the vegetables on the kitchen top.
Preposition 'on' is used to indicate a part of the body
- She slapped him on his cheek.
- There is a swelling on my toe.
Preposition 'on' is used to specify a device or machine
- Sameer has been designing on the computer since afternoon.
- That serial is aired on TV every night.
Preposition 'on' is used to specify the state of something
- She kept her belongings on sale.
- They set the mall on fire.
Uses of Preposition 'in'
Preposition 'in' is used in sentences given below. Read these sentences as examples to explain the uses of preposition 'in'.
Preposition 'in' is used to indicate location or place
- Children are playing in the ground.
- He always stays in a five star hotel.
- Sahil’s hometown is in Maharashtra.
- He looks directly in the eyes of opponent.
Preposition 'in' is used to indicate shape, colour, size-
- The students stand in a line.
- He drew a picture in a circle.
- She likes a design in pink.
- The caricatures are mostly in black.
- We can get this table in four different sizes.
- She purchased bowls in six different sizes.
Preposition 'in' is used to explain specific time during a day, month, year, season-
- She always starts her work in the morning.
- The third semester will start in June.
- Diwali always falls in the month of November.
- She has completed her training in 2010.
- There is always traffic jam in rainy season.
- He joined swimming class in summer.
Preposition 'in' is used to explain the feeling, opinion, belief, interest
- He doesn’t believe in curse and blessings.
- I am interested in teaching.
Preposition 'in' is used while doing something
- You should be attentive in learning the prepositions.
- In submitting the drawings for final submission, he checked those again and again.
Uses of Preposition 'at'
Uses of preposition 'at' is given in the sentences below. Read these sentences as examples to explain the uses of preposition 'at'.
Preposition 'at' is used to indicate a place
- Anny is at her home.
- Sandy is taking his brother at party house.
Preposition 'at' is used to explain an activity
- She criticized at my designing.
- He is good at football.
Preposition 'at' is used to explain specific time
- She is starting to work at 6 o’clock.
- Meeting was conducted by his boss at 11 am.
Preposition 'at' is used to explain an email address
- He sent an image at client’s email address.
- John emailed me at firstname.lastname@example.org.
There are so many prepositions in English language. We shall discuss more about prepositions in another chapter-
Definition and list of Prepositions