Now we shall learn how to use ‘was’ to describe continuous action. We use was to describe the past tense. So, these are the sentences in the past continuous tense.
In this sentence, we use ‘was’ with another verb.
In these sentences, we use ‘was’ as a helping verb with the main verb. We should use the present participle of a verb which is the ‘-ing’ form of a verb.
Construction of a sentence using ‘was’
We can construct a sentence as:
- I / He/ she/ it/ any singular subject + was + present participle (-ing form) of the main verb + other words.
Examples of ‘was’ in a sentence about continuous action
Let’s see how to use ‘was’ in continuous sentences with some examples.
Here are some examples. The formation is as above.
Have a look-
- Sarika was going to her home town. (main verb go+ ing)
- He was reaching the airport to receive his parents. (main verb come+ ing)
- She was studying in a college library. (main verb study+ ing)
- He was teaching philosophy. (main verb teach+ ing)
- It was eating fruit under a tree.(main verb eat+ ing)
- Shalaka was observing the painting. (main verb observe+ ing)
- Saurabh was carrying his tiffin. (main verb carry+ ing)
- A cat was playing on the roof. (main verb play+ ing)
- She was stitching a gown. (main verb stitch+ ing)
- He was collecting postage stamps. (main verb collect+ ing)
- She was fixing a gas cylinder.(main verb fix+ ing)
- He was fetching water from a water tanker.
- She was solving an example of Mathematics.(main verb solve+ ing)
- He was calling you yesterday.(main verb call+ ing)
- Dr Sarika was diagnosing the condition of the patient. (main verb diagnose+ ing)
- She was examining the types of plants. (main examine+ ing)
- A dog was waiting for food.(main verb wait+ ing)
- Rati was inquiring about a psychiatrist.(main verb inquire+ ing)
- She was classifying vegetables. (main verb classify+ ing)
- Monkey was chasing the dog. (main verb drink+ ing)
- The maid was asking about her salary. (main verb chase+ ing)
- A lion was licking its wound. (main verb lick+ ing)
- Parrot was speaking with us. (main verb speak+ ing)
- She was painting her house. (main verb paint+ ing)
- He was choosing a dress for his son. (main verb choose+ ing)
- Rati was clarifying the issue. (main verb clarify+ ing)
- Soham was thinking of joining the party. (main verb think+ ing)
- Parth was deciding to work from Monday. (main verb decide+ ing)
- Rashi was developing an educational website. (main verb develop+ ing)
- She was packing a gift for her brother. (main verb pack+ ing)
- Use of were
- Were- negative sentences
- Use of was: continuous
- affirmative answers
- negative answers